Stuppy Aquaponics Blog

Aquaponics System Improvements for 2017

Posted by Conor Quinlan on Jan 31, 2017 8:21:28 AM

The aqueduct system is being modified to perform more effectively and rid the system of any small issues that have cropped up over the last year since its first release. 

The most significant changes are to the siphon and float bed height:

  1. SIPHON OVERVIEW- Until now a bell siphon has been used in the aqueduct’s media bed to make it ebb and flow (fill and drain). This action allows the media (expanded clay) to absorb oxygen each time it’s drained and is important to nitrification and crops grown in the media bed as they both require oxygen. The bell siphon is being replaced by a diamond siphon (pictured below)

 diamond siphon.jpg 

THE PROBLEM:  The bell siphon worked about 95% of the time but during the other 5%, for some unknown reason, would not drain and even nearly overflowed the media bed. The fact that the water level could rise above the bell siphon, even rarely, was enough reason to switch to a different type of siphon. 

THE SOLUTION: The diamond siphon is more simplistic than the bell siphon and because of this is far more reliable. Most importantly the water level will never rise above the top of the siphon and therefore there is no risk of overflow or media shifting. The diamond shape allows for the smallest air bubble possible within the siphon and therefore drains more efficiently than the even simpler u-siphon. 

HAVE A SYSTEM WITH THE OLD BELL SIPHON? If you purchased one of our previous models then we will be happy to send you the diamond siphon free of charge.

 

  1. FLOAT BED HIEGHT INCREASE OVERVIEW: This was accomplished by simply increasing the length of each of the eight float bed legs from 42” to 42.5”. This change may seem insignificant but in actuality improves two important system aspects. 

THE PROBLEM: Overall the original float bed height doesn’t affect the system in a negative way but we also provide system add-ons that require better clearance between the sump tank and float bed (the sump tank is directly below so the clearance between the top of the sump and the bottom of the float bed is very limited.

rise of the float tank.png


THE SOLUTION: Adding just a ½” increase in float bed height gives add-on assemblies like the water heater (already available) and additional float bed (early 2017) the clearance they need to fit between the sump and float bed frame easily. The additional float bed irrigation assembly would likely warp the top of the sump without this change.  

This change also slightly increases the flow rate throughout the system allowing the media bed to siphon more easily. 

HAVE A SYSTEM WITH THE SHORTER LEGS? The ½” float bed height increase is relatively simple to replicate by placing ½” blocks under the system’s legs. The float bed carries 300 gallons of water (2500 lbs) so use tough material for the blocks.

 

 

Topics: Aquaponics, Aqueduct Development